- Country Chicken with bones - 750 g (use mixed pieces, diced into big bite size pieces, wash properly and remove the excess water from it)
- Red Chilli powder - 3 tsp or more to suit your taste
- Turmeric (Haldi) - 1 tsp
- Ginger and Garlic paste - 3 tsp of each
- Oil - (it should cover the whole area of the surface of the cooking dish)
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Onions - 325 gms- (Finely chopped)
- Kashmiri chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Home made Masala Powder - 4 tsp (see below for recipe)
- Salt to suit your taste
- Corriander leaves - handful (chopped finely)
* Home made masala:
6 tsp Coriander seeds, 2 tsp Poppyseeds, 10 Cloves, 8 Cardamom, 2 inch Cinnamon stick, 1 Star anise - grind these in to powder using a coffee grinder or regular mixer. Remaining powder keep it closed in airtight container and can be used in the preparation of other Andhra delicacies.
Method to Prepare:
- Proportion of Chicken to onions 2:1. Marinate country chicken pieces with ginger and garlic paste, turmeric and chilli powder for 2 hours (approximately)
- Heat a large non-stick pan which is heavy based underneath, add oil as described and heat it up, add curry leaves crisp a little, add onions and fry until light brown.
- Add marinated country chicken pieces along with the marination and fry until country chicken looses it's pink colour and the water which releases from it. Now add the home made masala powder, kashmiri chilli powder and fry the same.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of clean water, bring to boil and simmer for approximately 10 mins. Cover with a lid. Keep on stirring time to time.
- Add salt to suit your taste, followed by coriander leaves mix and cook until the country chicken is thoroughly cooked until way is formed when u slide the spatula and oil floats on top.
Also see Spicy Tomato dal