Sweet Pongal (Huggi)
this Sweet Pongal is a traditional sweet dish made with the combination of rice and moong daal. This is prepared during special occasions and also made during the festival of Pongal/Sankranthi along with the spicy khichdi/ Khara Pongal
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 cup moong daal
- 1.5 cup jaggery
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry coconut [use regular coconut if dry not available]
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Handful raisins
- Cook the rice along with the moong daal by adding both water and milk. This should be mushy and liquidy.
- In a heavy bottom pan, melt the jaggery along with little water (1/4 cup).
- Then add the cooked rice daal mixture and stir well.
- Then add the dry coconut mixture and continue to stir until the water evaporates and the jaggery thickens up. If this is too dry, add little more milk to this.
- Add the cardamom powder, 2 tsp ghee, mix and close the lid and switch off the gas.
- In a separate pan add ghee and add the raisins and cashews. Stir until the raisins plump and cashews get a brown color.
- Add to the sweet rice mixture and close the lid.
See more sweet recipes... .