Onam festival specila recipe - carrot payasam
carrot payasam - creamy and smooth payasam made with carrots , palm sugar and coconut milk.
Recipe Type : dessert, sweets
Cuisine: South Indian
ingredients for Carrot Kheer / carrot payasam
3 medium to large carrots , peeled and coarsely chopped
3-4 green cardamom powder and crushed or ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
1 cup coconut milk diluted
1 cup thick coconut milk
½ to ¾ cup shredded or powdered jaggery or as needed (depending on the sweetness of the carrots)
½ cup of water to dissolve the palm sugar powder
a handful of cashew nuts , halved or whole
a handful of raisins
a pinch of rock salt
2 to 3 tablespoons oil or ghee
instructions to make Carrot Kheer
- Boil carrots in enough water until they are tender and cooked through .
- jaggery stir in ½ cup water and mix until the palm sugar is dissolved.
- if there are impurities , and then filter the jaggery solution.
- when carrots are warm or cooled , mix add ¼ cup water in a blender.
- Mix the mashed carrots, thin coconut milk , jaggery solution, the salt in a pan or kadai and keep on low heat.
- Heat gently, stirring from time to time through.
- do not bring the mixture to a boil.
- just let it warm up.
- when you see water floating on top payasam vapors , turn off the heat .
- Stirr the thick coconut milk .
- In a small pan , heat the oil or ghee.
- first add cashews and when they start to change color , add raisins and cardamom powder .
- low heat , fry cashews until they are golden or light golden and the grapes swell and become golden.
- Pour all the mixture into the carrot kheer and stir.
- serve payasam hot or warm or cold carrot.
use coconut milk of good quality if you use store-bought . It is best to make coconut milk homemade from scratch and use in this recipe.
for thin coconut milk store bought coconut milk - dissolve 1 part coconut milk 3 parts water .
if you use cow's milk , then just replace 2 cups of milk and simmer the carrot puree , palm sugar and salt with milk until the mixture thickens slightly payasam .
Also See Vangi Bath Recipe