Plantain Dosa / Balekayi Dosa : learn how to cook dosa
Category: Soaking, Grinding required, however no fermentation is required.
Recipe Adapted from: Balekayi Dosa
- 1 cup raw rice (soaked in water for 5-6 hours) [I used Sona masuri rice]
- 1 cup plantain/raw banana chopped ( outer skin peeled ) [Balekayi in Kannada]
- ½ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- Grinding: First dry grind the chopped banana, along with salt and green chilli so that there are no lumps. Then add the soaked rice, coconut (optional) along with water and grind to a thick fine paste.
- Transfer this to a bowl, add salt as needed and mix well. The dosa batter is ready (No fermenting is required)
- Making Dosas: Heat the iron griddle or non-stick tava on medium-high heat. Sprinkle some water on the tava.
- After the water evaporates, pour a ladle of batter in the centre, spread with the back of the ladle to form a big circle.
- Pour tsp oil over and around it. Let it cook for a minute until the bottom part has lightly browned.
- Turn with a spatula when crisp and flip onto the other side. Let it cook for another 30 seconds.
- Take the dosa out and transfer to plate. Continue making dosas similar way with the remaining batter. Serve hot with chutney, potato masala or chutney pudi.
Also See Ghee rice recipe